Monday 20 June 2016

Challenge #2 Rock Climbing/Abseiling

On Friday the 17th some of my classmates and I went Rock climbing and Abseiling at Charleston. I was soo excited for the moment when I got to lean off a cliff. The closer we got to charleston, the more adrenaline I had running through me. When we pulled up to constants bay, the first thing I saw was the gigantic waves pounding against the rocks. The instructors: Josh and Hosei showed us how to put on a harness. We walked up a track for about 15mins to the amazing 30m high cliff. It was just so amazing to see this place in real life rather than through a screen. 

We dumped all of our bags in the lunch area and were showed how to use the equipment. At this point I thought I was going to explode with excitement. Finally, we were allowed to start abseiling our way of a cliff. I was the second to go, I felt rather thrilled than terrified to lean over an edge of a cliff. Lochie one of the other instructors clipped me into the safety rope so I wouldn't fall. I did a quick check of all of my safety gear just to make sure I was properly clipped in. 

I walked backwards to the edge of the cliff and I spread my feet, breathed in then leaned, and I took my first step down the rocky face. I couldn't believe I was over the edge, I looked out to see before I carried on with my journey down the rock wall. As I reached the end of the rock face my feet could no longer touch the wall, so I was just sitting there in mid air. I slowly lowered myself still keeping my hand tightly gripped on the rope so I would not crash into the rocky floor below. As I reached the safety of the ground I could not believe what I had just accomplished. 

Now I was off to rock climbing, I was first to climb. I decided to climb the harder one out of the two, It was nicknamed the "Chimney."  My heart was racing as I started to climb. The first few meters were the easiest, as got to the overhanging ledge I had to work my hands into every crevasse I could. My arms felt like they were burning and the annoying thing was, was that it wasn't even the hardest part. I was only 3m from touching the Caribeaners I kept wanting to come down but my instructor kept telling me to have another try.

At that very moment, I felt as though I was truly at my breaking point. But I kept on pushing myself higher and higher until finally, I touched the Caribeaners!!! Finally, I had accomplished a test that pushed me to the limit. 

I will never forget that moment when I leaned over the edge or when I touched those metal Caribeaners at the top of the chimney. I can't wait for the next challenge, BRING IT ON!!!

2 comments:

  1. Alyssa, what an epic reflection! You clearly got a lot out of the experience. When you say "finally I'd accomplished a test that pushed me to the limit", can you elaborate on how being tested like this will help you in other areas of your life? mrsinton-white.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will help me when i'm under pressure. Because when I was on the rock I really felt like I was under pressure and if I didn't go down I would be counted as a failure. It has also trained me in the physical area. Because when i was on the rock I felt as though I couldn't hold on any longer but I still kept on pushing myself higher, even with all the pain in my arms and legs.

      Delete